Perhaps one of the most embarrassing things that could happen to a person is to have someone cover their mouth when you are talking because of a foul smell that is coming out of your mouth. Having bad breath or halitosis is not an easy situation to be in. Relationships and friendships can be affected be it from the workplace or to a much personal level. Not to mention the person who has bad breath may lose his or her self confidence.
A person can have bad breath or halitosis when there is bacteria build up in the mouth. The most common reasons why a person acquires bad breath are:
- Food intake like garlic and other spices
- Dental problems like dental carries and tooth decay
- Smoking tobacco
- Mouth and throat infections
- Stomach disorders such as in gastritis
- Poor oral hygiene which includes tooth brushing, flossing, and having dental prophylaxis
The most effective way in treating bad breath is by visiting the dentist. However, one can still get rid of the foul mouth odor without seeking professional help. Here are some of the ways to cure bad breath without seeing the dentist:
- Practice good oral hygiene. It is important to brush your teeth and tongue every after meal to get rid of the food particles that is in the mouth. Bacteria thrive on the food particles to survive and multiply causing the mouth to have a disgusting odor. Aside from tooth brushing, it is important to floss the teeth. There are may be food particles stuck in between teeth that was not removed from tooth brushing. If you have dentures, remove them before you sleep and soak them in a glass of water. Clean your dentures before putting them back to your mouth. Use a mouthwash especially when you do not have time to brush your teeth. There are mouthwashes that can be are so small to be place inside the pocket. You can always use them especially if you have to meet someone for a quick meeting.
- Avoid spicy foods. Curry, garlic, ginger and other spices can give the mouth an awful odor. It would be best to avoid foods containing these spices especially when you do not have time to brush your teeth.
- Always have a gum on your pocket. It will serve as your best friend especially when tooth brushing would be impossible. Chewing a gum increases saliva production needed to help get rid of mouth bacteria.
- Stop smoking. The smell of smoke does not only stick on the mouth but also to clothes. This will not only give the mouth an awful smell but the entire body as well.
- Drink lots of water. Water keeps the moist inside the mouth which is vital to keep bacteria away from the mouth.
These are just simple ways to treat bad breath. All it takes is a complete change of lifestyle from the person affected to have the bad breath turn into a good one.